Mima's Blog

Knitting, books, theater, travel, skiing, cycling and whatever crosses my mind.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

i can't drink anymore

So this is the rest of the story... Paul made me the proverbial high fat no carb dinner that I am expected to eat... did I tell you I can't stand bacon anymore??? We also went to get diet coke at the 7-11 so that I can use that to help me get the potion down.

6:00am I have to drink my potion, using the diet coke I manage to drink the damn think. It took about 1 hour to get the 12 oz, started knitting and trying very hard not to think that I have to drink another 12 oz's in about 3 hours.

9:30am took a shower and cleaned the bathroom ... I have to somehow think of something else other that what lies ahead

10:15am YUKE I have to start drinking the next 12 oz... I hate this crap. but using the diet coke (which I don't like anyway) I manage to drink about 3/4's of it... Catch is that a) I am ready to throw up any second and b) if I burp I can taste the damn mint flavoring which in turn reminds me what i just drank which brings me back to I am going to throw up any second....

12:45 Finally ready to leave... my brain keeps saying that i am like a bad photograph that everyone want to scan....

1:25 Check in at the radiology counter

1:45 realize that I forgot my watch home (I never go anywhere without my watch!), they call my name.... OK let's start this party.... They take me to the lead lined room and the lovely nurse tells me that the radioactive sugar is ready for me, so she gets the IV ready and no ouch??? she got the vein on the first try! then she gets the lead lined radioactive stuff and I am now glowing in the dark. She then proceeds to tell me that I have to drink 48 oz of the barium / berry flavored stuff. I proceed to tell her that it just ain't going to happen... I will do my best, but 48 oz are not going down when everything else want to come up. It will take about an hour for the radioactivity to reach all 4 corners of my body... so as far as she is concerned I have 1 hour to drink the new potion... In my head I scope out where the bathroom is, just in case... Since I am glowing right now, I can't have any company... kill 1 hour with barium and old magazines...

She finally returns and says to me, the PET scan machine is ready for me, and "You only drank about 6 oz of the barium" I will have to tell the CT scan people that they will need to change the setting on the machine" I think to myself ... You do that bitch, drink both potions the same day and not puke.. try it...come on... ugh...slap that nurse into some reality please!

I was so emotionally drained at this point that I basically slept the entire PET scan. I was taken to the CT Scan waiting room... and the CT Scan operator said sarcastically to me... only 10 oz?? to which I said yeap that was it.. so they hook the IV to the next potion.. (this one makes you warm inside out and then makes you think you want to pee.. what a treat! All of this in 1 day!!!

Finally I was free to go.. results were not going to be ready for at least 2 days.. GOOD!!! I don't want to think about this for at least 2 days!!

and then... break the fast ... Seafood restaurant.... lobster bisque, Caesar salad, ahi tuna, Boston cream pie... pig out city!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AAAHHHH.... those unpleasant memories of the "good for you torture"! I still get the heebeegeebeees when I think of those awful concoctions, every 3 months for the 1st 14 years of my life!
What a conbo of nasty tasting, feeling, smelling, want to puke & then make me feel like I got to pee with a warm flushing hug bunch of bullshit it all is!!!
You did well to drink what you drank!
As for the machine settings, I guarentee when they read the results they'll complain that the patient wasn't cooporative enough to get the best pictures... I ALWAYS got that speech.
If you had thrown up, these "caregivers" would have such a look of disgust (even more than the sarcastic nurse you had) & I bet less than 10% have ever had to do it. But have the odasity to critisize the afflicted!

Glad it's behind you! It was great having you today for 10 hours :-) Rest up, don't over do it!

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BIG Gulp, 7-11??? Do they serve it on the rocks?? Damn white Crap, lit., shine baby shine.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I like beer, it makes me a jolly good fellow, I like beer, it help me unwind and sometimes it makes me feel mellow."

TOM T. HALL

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boss man don't mean to ask dumb questions but doesn't the "B" in BLT stand for bacon?

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't drink??? Not even for a little while??????????Are you shure they're doing it right? Party over here, oop oop. Bring home the beer and the bacon, oop oop. No more torture; no more torture. Aske them nicely to refocus; shite, something. HAVE SOME CONSIDERATIONNN, we'd like to get on with the fun or hard work, or what ever you want to call it... more @ mimaknits.blogspot.com

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You often wonder if the people doing the test have any clue as to what you go through.

Glad that is behind you and we will keep our fingers crossed and say a few good prayers.( not sure anyone will listen)

Dave/Fran

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home