Mima's Blog

Knitting, books, theater, travel, skiing, cycling and whatever crosses my mind.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Progress in New Hampshire

For those of you who don't follow the Waterville Valley weather report (and let's face it who doesn't) my co-worker Cherie brought this to my attention. (weather Oct 22nd) If you click on the weather thing, you will see that we got our first snow. By the time I arrived here tonight, it was all gone, but it is colder that a MOFO.

By the way, I realize that the idea (for some) is to disconnect from the modern world and all that nonsense when they go to a mountain retreat, but me, being a city boy (alas from Puerto Rico) need the modern connectivity conveniences of DSL and cable TV. I drove up here tonight to finally (yeah right) receive the cable box and be here for the geeks from Best Buy so that they can install the TV and do their thing so that I can have TV radiation during the week-ends. I am to used to knitting, reading and watching TV while I do laundry and I am not willing to live without it.

By the way, speaking of temperature, last week the electrician connected the new programmable thermostats, they are suppose to warm up the house on Friday and let it get cold again on Sunday night. We have decided (although after today we might not) to have the low temperature at 50 degrees. Since I came up on Thursday, I had to manually set the temp to 68. It has been about 90 minutes and we are just cracking 58. The instructions say that it should be about 1 degree for every 5 minutes and I am sure we are on schedule for that, but all the surfaces especially the granite are cold cold cold. I fear that my mattress will freeze me on contact when I go to bed!.

I have to drive back to Boston either Friday night after the install or Saturday morning, after all I do have to do my laundry, but the reason for a city week-end is that my friend Luis as always, has invited us to the Berklee School of Music annual fund raising gala. Luckily, we don't have to pay for tickets to go to the dinner/dance, but it sure has been a lot of fun to go for the last 10 years or so.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The good life, freezing your ass off in your brand new state-of-the art home; what was it, tyvek?? Maybe a remote control for the home is next up, I hear they sell some nice simple ones that work over the phone, internet is way more cool though, like, how about a live webcam shot of your favorite view from your mountain hideaway? How about heated rugs??

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home