Mima's Blog

Knitting, books, theater, travel, skiing, cycling and whatever crosses my mind.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Test #3, the last one

The chest MRI proved to be a highlight of what hell would be. Got there on time (ok 1/2 hour early) and got immediately sent in. Put the IV in (ouch for the 1000 time) and get ready. The nurse told me that at most it would be 45 minutes (remember this since they take your watch away).

This time, I was laying down feet into the tube, with 4 heart monitor probes, 1 respiratory bellow around my belly, and a metal/plastic contraption that went from my crotch to right about the nose and coveringmy entire chest. In order for it to not hit my nose, a couple of rolled towels are used to raise said contraption above my chin/nose. The IV is connected to the contrast fluid and I am good to go. In this series of tests, there is a radiologist asking for certain pictures, and I know I will not like him.

In I go into the tube, my feet exit on the other side and my head and chest are in the center. I hate this, I can deal with it, but I hate it. I close my eyes and try to go somewhere else in my head. (I can't tell you where that is). However, my happy trip is not meant to be, this is an interactive MRI. Breath IN, breath OUT, DON'T BREATH.....TIC TOC TIC TOC.... 20 seconds
This was repeated at least 140 times in different degrees of don't breath. Completely counterproductive if you are already in a tube where you feel there is no air.

They finally took me out to give my arms (which have to be above my head) a break. I asked how much longer and they said, 15 minutes tops. LIES LIES LIES. At this point I am pushed back into the tube, and they are going to put the contrast in and I feel my arm getting wet. Ring the emergency bell... and said... HELLO I AM GETTING WET! in they come to fix the bad connection they had made.. yikes these people are too fucking much!

Once the entire test is over I said to them, it must be about 5:00pm isn't.
Yes, they respond.... 2 hours of sheer hell!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Bossman, you did great! For a test that is supposed to be painless, there sure are enough other aspects of it that make it painful. I'm sure there will be plenty of poking & proding left to do, but for now the 1st round of crap is over :-). Make the best of what you have left for the weekend.
Love & Hugs to you & Paul.
PEACE.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my. What else can they put you through? We hope this is the last test.

Now you sit back and wait for all the results.

Keep up the fight.

Love and Hugs

David/Fran

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home