Mima's Blog

Knitting, books, theater, travel, skiing, cycling and whatever crosses my mind.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

The sprint and the marathon

SO... let me tell you about my day today... Blood pressure is normal, so is the oxygen level and the weight is up 2 pounds from December 21st.

Hematology Oncology docs came in first... the warm up act. Not much to say since their involvement has been relegated to second tier citizens. Blah blah, you are doing so well....blah blah...you look so good.

Then came the radiology group, I really like this doctor and his intern, in a very reserved way, he answers questions clearly and I feel that he gets it. To him the fight with cancer is personal. A few more questions and then the interesting stuff starts to flow... the tumor has been reduced by about 50% (which is a good thing) however, it is currently like a ring around a finger just so happens the finger is the superior vena cava. It is also laying on top of the Aorta (the hope is that there is no invasion on the aorta), and the pulmonary artery. They discuss the fact that the thoracic surgeon who I meet with next has interesting possibilities for me to consider but that if I don't choose any, there is another experimental radiation technique called the cyber-knife or radiation surgery that can be done. Choices are available, but I am not in a good mood, nothing seems promising, and everything seems painful. Prognosis at this point is anywhere between 18 months and 3 years, in other words statistical #'s that need to be beaten.

They leave the room and we wait, and we wait some more; we had to wait 30 minutes for the thoracic surgeons intern to come visit and ask the dumbest questions in the universe... at this point I am cranky and the rest of the gang is getting anxious... we have gotten nowhere in the choice department and we all seem to have different opinions of what has happened so far. Think of it as we met The Riddler from batman and we can't figure out what the fuck they are talking about.

AND THEN 1 hour late ...the guy with the nimble fingers walks in... Dr such and such, thoracic surgery.... he proceeds to explain that a 50% reduction is very good and that IF there was to be surgery there would be a series of steps and tests that I need to pass. However.. the news is that a series of surgical events can occur to take out what it is expected to be all of the tumor. This sounds interesting...

First, it would be a bypass surgical intervention, the ring and that section of the vein would be removed and replaced with a portion of a vein from my leg. Then, they would peel off the section of the tumor that is hopefully just laying on top of the aorta. IF it was not just laying down on it, bypass #2 would occur. And now the part that for whatever reason has me on a tailspin.... a portion (1/3 minimum) of the lung would be removed. Granted you have over capacity, but for whatever reason this just annoys me. The issue being that the tumor is also laying/touching the pulmonary artery and in order to remove it, you would be removing the blood supply of the lung, so you might as well deal with it right there and then.

All of this will occur in a crazy sprint in the next 2 weeks. Next week I have to do 1) a head MRI, it seem that lung cancer tends to spread to the brain 2) a chest MRI, 3) a bronchioscopy ( a biopsy to make sure that nothing has spread to the lymph nodes) 4) and echocardiogram 5) a lung capacity respiration test ( to determine what would happen if they remove one lung) and I could swear there was one more. I have to pass all of them to be able to sit with the surgeon and schedule a date for the surgery...but we all know how I get about tests...a little competitive! and by the way, only 1-2% of lung cancers develop the way mine has... I feel so special!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let the running begin...

10:40 PM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Wow, what a lot to digest. I had to read this several times to wrap my brain around it. Thank you for updating us. I wish I could think of something cute, or witty or ridiculous to say - but I can't. All I can think of is how much you mean to me and the love I feel for you in my heart.

I am sending you huge amounts of positive energy, and I know that you'll pass all of your "tests" with flying colours, you always do...

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy shit! That's all I can say at the moment but that about sums it up. I'm rarely stunned into silence but you got me with this one. Lots of information for us all to process, darlin', and I'm sure confusion, worry and fear is the oppresive smog-of-the-day amongst family and friends. Forgive me for being repetitive but, HOLY SHIT!

1:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mima,
Let your competitive spirit rule!
We know you can do it...
love,
The Ogilvie Clan

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mima,

I feel as though I just took a trip through the Alps.

Your fight and spirit will help at this time.

I think John said it best.

Love and hugs to you both.

David and Fran

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK.... Having beem down this same god damn road before, what they DIDN'T say was: Quantity vs Quality!!!
Will the pending operation give you an extension of time,despite the fact that the quality will be under so much pressure after the fact??? OR will quality be the same despite the efforts for extension???
Something to ponder deeply; my dear friend... I went thru all this 1st hand & can answer some of the reality questions w/o the hidden fluff. You know me, I'm tough but this damn near killed me!
I'm not trying to be negative, just real. I know you would appreciate that quality more than most!
Pop said "If I had more of the real info going into this situation, I would of made other choices, so I could of been in 1 piece to enjoy the last without going thru a healing process that never healed!"
Pop became a science project after he realized that all they did wasn't going to stop "Mr Nasty" & the probing may help anothers later on. It takes courage to go thru any of this shit, when I would rather just curl up & die w/o trying anything!

It's a shitty decision to have to make & it's all yours to make! Keep in mind, nobody wants you to suffer...needlessly, especially the ones who have to go thru this with you on a daily basis!

Keep being so strong my friend, because you have been chosen for that undesirable roller coaster ride. No matter what seat you choose or get stuck in, it's going to beat the shit out of you regardless!

All my inner strength, peace & love are with you & Paul as you go forward into the mystic...

PS> "HOLY SHIT"

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home