Mima's Blog

Knitting, books, theater, travel, skiing, cycling and whatever crosses my mind.

Friday, July 04, 2008

the good doctor speaks

On Wednesday, I had to visit my main surgeon doctor. Needless to say, I adore this man, not only for having incredible hands, but his demeanor is always just wonderful. After going through the official chatter, we got down to business. He showed us in close up the latest X-ray they had taken that morning. I have at least 40 staples all over the place plus about 9 cable ties holding my sternum together. Not bad for 2 big surgeries, it looks like Home Depot.

Then his tone turned (at least that was my perception) and basically said that the cancer had most likely spread through the blood stream and that we needed to be aware it could happen again. They did leave a tiny bit behind attached to the axillary artery and that would be treated with either chemo or radiation. Needless to say, tiny bit behind is not what I wanted to hear, take the whole fucking thing and call it a day. I have asked Eileen to make a blog entry to see what her perception was since I think we were both a little shocked.

As I mentioned to the doctor that January 2010 I had a 4 month vacation planned (the world cruise! more on that next entry) and to make sure I was alive and well. His answer.. "let's take one season at a time" yikes it sounded ominous... either way, I got home and started planning all the cruises from now till the world cruise. I need practice and stamina!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The need to write an alternative blog is not necessary. As usual you captured all that was said accurately and wrote it much more elegantly than I would have.
Your twin separated at birth.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go forward...the end is inevitable! Do EVERYTHING you can think of. HAVE NO REGRETS!

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home