Mima's Blog

Knitting, books, theater, travel, skiing, cycling and whatever crosses my mind.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Chemo Session #1 - and the end of radiation

The end of radiation is a very happy occasion, the decadron taper is almost over (that;s the pill for the seizures that keeps me up at night, and the radiation itself stops tanning my white ass. In addition, my digestive system tries to go back to normal. This time around chemo is 3 single sessions a couple of weeks apart so that I get a brake form the weird meds and so that my digestive system and the people in my head all get to take a brake. Yesterday was day 1 for session 1 of chemo.

You get there 1 hour ahead of your session for blood work, which when I looked at the results I was horrified. Everything was below normal ranges; you must understand that for Mr competitive was not going to do so either the nurse fiercely patronized me or it is true, I was in the high % of "under the circumstances" your Numbers are good. As far as I was concerned I need more protein in my diet and fast 30 minute IV flush and 30 minute poison, and I was out there. Compare with the 5 hour sessions from the previous protocol this was looking good. No Nausea, stomach confused but not much and an intense desire to sleep.

That got confused because I was almost at "0" with the steroids but I needed to boost to 16mg daily (which is getting up there, for the day before, during, and after the chemo. THEN I go back to 1mg... confused?? you need a power point presentation to follow this fucking thing, but of course I have one so we are on the way out of decadron...YEAH!!!

In the process St Paul bought me for one of our bicycles a contraption that I can use to get my legs back in working order. When the decadron is working, it chews up your quads and they are simply useless, so a little physical therapy is in order.

PS I would like to thank both Eileen Nightingale and my brother for keeping me company and sane during the weird ass week...much appreciated as always

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew if anyone could find a contraption it would be St Paul.
I'm sure he was on the original shopping network show.

Keep the spirits up and show Mr Nasty who's the boss.

Hugs David

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If roses are red and violets are blue, what is a tanned ass, when it comes to you? Is it cheer or is it fear? Regardless,don't let the little bastards win the war as this new bike contraption will some day make you ride like the tour.

Have a good weekend.

Rich

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mima......... please do not post this....... but I need your e-mail address. We upgraded to Vista and I lost my address book. Dawn and I will be in San Juan in July and I need the hot spots!!

Jane

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mima

hang in there. we need to do dinner in portsmouth.

talk to you soon.

andy

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home