Mima's Blog

Knitting, books, theater, travel, skiing, cycling and whatever crosses my mind.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Careful what you wish....

SO the verdict is in.. Went to see the docs (all three of them) today and as usual it was interesting. If I had called central casting it could not have been better. Chemo doctor comes in first and sets up the mood. "You know that this is a very interesting disease, but we have develop incredible tools" As he is giving me the "oh you are in deep doodoo" lecture surgeon doctor walks in. This man is confidence and honesty personified. I so trust him it's not even funny.

He starts by telling me that once again it seems that he will be operating me. HOWEVER there are many risks and complications. Some background 1) cancer 2.0 is still resident and about 3 inches in size 2) also worth noting this surgery would also remove the lymph nodes that are affected similar to what happens during breast cancer surgery. 3) The axillary vein would be the boundary of where work can be done, any work beyond that boundary would create lots and lots of problems. 4) That boundary and any lymph node issues would bring something called Lymphedema and possible although unlikely issues with the mobility of the arm.

So what are the choices?? Choices 1) is no surgery and some additional radiation, this would be the easiest route although the one with the absolute highest risk of cancer returning. Choice 2) Have surgery and risk all the complications mentioned above. The surgery would be about 3-4 days in the hospital with 3-5 weeks of recovery. There are no guarantees, but having surgeon doc (who I adore) visually do reconnaissance makes me feel much better. If he can't get all the cancer out, nobody can, and if that is the case...we gave it our best try.

So tomorrow I will call Dr Surgeon and tell him to go at it asap!

10 Comments:

Blogger Lester said...

Love you

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like these types of decisions. Beer or wine, steak or lobster, exercise or sit on my ass. Lately, you haven't had too many of these.

I wish you the very best, I know Paul will keep me up to date of your progress.

Love,

Rich and Lauren

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a brave man. I know you will do well and I wish you the best of luck. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well all I can say is good luck and hurry back to work because work is not fun without you
my thoughts and prayers are always with you. You are the only boss I want to work for.
Kathi (50 isn't bad)

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cripes... on one level, it's reassuring that you have choices, albeit none that are particularly fun. On the other level, this whole thing sucks and it must be incredibly tempting to simply head for the nearest cruise ship and the cocktail of the day.

Hang in there -- your armpit was never one of your more glamorous features anyway.

Love, Jessie

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have a school girl crush on Dr. Surgeon!!

G&E

5:38 PM  
Blogger mima said...

Jessie:

I realize that my armpit was not my most glam part, however... that tropical drink has my name on it!

iml

7:03 PM  
Blogger mima said...

I am crazy about Dr Surgeon...school girl crush....maybe... but anyone that skilled and smart is right up there in my book

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YIKES... Choices I think not. More like indentured decision making! You're a brave soul to under go all the exporatory slice & dice. I'm sure my Pop is standing right beside you all the way! He too believed in "what ever it takes". I admire you both for your courage!What you haven't said is: how does this affect the length & quality of life after the surgery??? Or how it would differ w/o the surgery??? Peace, strength & more courage than I possibly muster up.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck with it all. My prayers are with you. I will miss you at work as well. It is definitely not the same without you. Take care. Anne

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home