Mima's Blog

Knitting, books, theater, travel, skiing, cycling and whatever crosses my mind.

Friday, October 12, 2007

life is very interesting

Today was a very strange day. But to give you a little background... The small group I have at work is dealing with a lot. We have someone who is going to the hospital for major surgery, family turmoils and personal turmoils. I would say that we are just a microcosm of the world, but it seems the we are of our usual axis. Thinking about lifes turns has been in my mind all week.

As coincidence would have it, someone in the family just had a visit with my surgeon. Who would have thought the odds possible. Lucky for them, I believe they are getting the best team in the universe. Having been there, all I can say is concentrate on the ride and learn from it.

As I was waiting for them in their consult with the doctor, another patient asked me what was I in for (it is a weird jail mentality). We compared notes and turns out he was 1 year ahead of me. It was a weird bonding experience to talk about things and almost universally respond... that is how I feel, or yeah, that lasted for a few weeks.

The sad part is that after 1 year of being clean, he develop fluid in his lungs and it turns out the fluid had cancerous cells. He had a pretty wonderful outlook and considering that he was going to start round 2 of his fight for life it was very encouraging to see that it didn't matter how many rounds, his frame of reference was to keep fighting.

Of course, I had my cry in the car on the way home. Interestingly, my cry was not for the possibility of a recurrence of cancer (which is always possible) but the fact that the narrative of my illness has included such wonderful people, and that they (the wonderful people) have understood so clearly how to help me through it. Going at this alone is not something I recommend.

so once again for those diehards that still read my crazy thoughts, enjoy every second of life, you never know when those seconds will be gone.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mima,

When the "C" word came into my life I sat back and thought what next. I do what I want and enjoy every moment of life. It does change your outlook.

Keep going my friend.

Love David

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WELL...I'm won't know if it's the "C" word, if/until I awaken. But your analysis is right on. My worlds axis is non existant at this point. Frazzled doesn't even begin to describe how I'm going to react! & no the 4 Xanex didn't help me at all on Thursday! Except when i got home & had a complete melt down, then crashed for 12 hours since I hadn't slept in 4 days anticipating that damn upside down test!!! I'm not sure i want to wake up anymore....

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in awe of the courage you showed to support others in such a short time after your unanticipated adventure.
Your number one fan,
Eileen

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home