Mima's Blog

Knitting, books, theater, travel, skiing, cycling and whatever crosses my mind.

Friday, September 07, 2007

Paris Day 3


Last night we decided to take it easy today. YEAH RIGHT.. We were off to Versailles. It seems funny to get there in about 25 minutes when in the 1700's it would take days to get there by carriage. We arrived at the entrance to the palace and all I could think of was... THAT'S THE LINE TO GET TICKETS??? We were told it was about 90 minutes from where we were standing, mind you, there was another hour line to get into the palace. I was about to start another revolution myself!

As we inch along the line, some shady character who spoke like 100 languages says.. in 10 minutes a private tour in english will depart for the King's apartments. It is 21 euros and I have room for 12 people. I have never moved so fast in my life. Shady or not, he was my ticket in and away from that infernal line.. the hell with the 21 euros. Within 15 minutes we were inside the King's apartments and a promise that we would not need to do the line to get back in to the palace.

The tour guide (once again we lucked out) spoke a) as if she was there during the time of the kings and b) as if this was her own home. She was incredible. The apartments were glorious and the fact that they found most of the furnishings after the revolution an incredible task. We also got to see St Louis chapel and then the palace itself. I knew it would be opulent and over the top, but when you walk through the Hall of Mirrors all I could think of was "my wedding should have been here!" it was jaw dropping even with all 4 million tourists.

Afterwards, we strolled through part of the gardens (the fountains were off). Life must have been sweet; until they guillotine part of course. We tried to eat lunch in several different restaurants but somehow the french waiters thought we were transparent. Very odd, but I guess very french.

When we got back to the hotel I was curious to see how much we had walked.. another 7 miles. A rest was needed and pronto. Dinner tonight was at a fancy place and i didn't want to land on my plate from exhaustion.

The hotel recommended a place called Chateaubriand. It was excellent, however, how did this puertorican end up in a high brow kosher french restaurant ..I'll never know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home