Mima's Blog

Knitting, books, theater, travel, skiing, cycling and whatever crosses my mind.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

NOT for the faint of heart

So we get to the clinic... Weird to have a gift shop on the Oncology floor. It is called Windows of Hope, and they sell everything from wigs to t-shirts. We walk in to the reception area and it is like cocktail party in which I am the latest guests who doesn't know anyone; they all know each other. Once again weight, oxygen level, blood pressure and heart rate. Very well...

I have my entourage with me, Paul, Eileen (sister), Lester(brother) (and oh yes... very PR names aren't they) and Eileen's husband Gaston. I had decided that I could only deal with one person besides Paul in the room, so Eileen was drafted as the secretary (although I need to warn everyone...Under normal circumstances she is a cryer!)

We dutyfully sit there and wait... (remember, time in hospitals can and does go backwards) and wait... The Dr. that I like, her delivery is very logical and direct, comes in and proceeds to tell us the facts. I know what you are doing, close that extra window that you just opened, DO NOT GO GOOGLING, read the whole thing and then google away, DO NOT TELL ME your findings, very sweet of you, but I was there, don't want to hear it again.

Here goes it.

I have a Stage 3B (3 out of 4 "4" being worst and B for not having spread) non small cell lung cancer. Believed to be an adenocarcinoma.

So you, as were we, are saying ok, not bad so far... very technical.... so they talk about things being setup for me (I've always wanted to have staff) and she asks to leave the room a second to get ALL the doctors. So Paul, Eileen and I are upset, but keeping it together.

The big guns walk into the room and very calmly (how do they do that?) start stating the explanation behind the facts. I've been scheduled for radiation tomorrow, and start chemo next week. 8 weeks with a private cabana in the radiation tanning booth.I have been assigned 1 nurse for the entire process. I am telling you, this concierge system at the BI Hilton is fantastic.

In addition they give you anti-nausea, and anti anxiety pills.. and I guess when you are in chemo it is encouraged to take a long nap. To make matters more interesting, I am encouraged to eat (well) but a lot. Loosing weight is not a good thing, and to hydrate thoroughly. I will transition from the Stay Puft Marshmallow man to a muscle man in 18 weeks..

Them the news, they suck, but it is worth the fight, needless to say, Paul and I look at each other and start to cry or laugh.

This is the end of the first act. Everyone go and get a drink... I DID and go do the bathroom brake. Starting tomorrow, we have the beginning of the second act. Working Title - The Revenge of Mima on the Fucking Tumor - Something better would be good, and I am open to suggestions.

For more information on Non Small Cell Lung Cancer, click on the highlighted link

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well my friend (& my boss), you have as usual put the facts into a fairly comical floor show! Having been thru this before as you well know...I have & always will appreciate your candid humor about tough situations. I will stand waiting in the wings should your troup need back up! Feel free to call apon me for anything, even if it's just an old familiar/homely face to chew the fat with I will come.
Your in my heart & thoughts always.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home