Mima's Blog

Knitting, books, theater, travel, skiing, cycling and whatever crosses my mind.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Family Conclave


Once a year, my brother, my sister and I get together. This get together is done without husbands, wives, or significant others. We have done this for three years and the next conclave, our fourth, will be held this coming week-end up in Woodstock, VT. On the first conclave we were not sure what the hell we were going to talk about. We all lead very different lives and usually talk to each other about once a month. We are 5 years apart and it seemed after much wine and chatter that we grew up in 3 different households. Every year we learn something new about ourselves and each other. It is something that I highly recommend for all siblings to do.

BTW, we do have some ground rules. We always stay in the best place we can afford that year. We have stayed in amazing locations or stayed local. There is no phoning to see how everyone else is, it is about us. There is a lot of wine, and we always stay in a 2 bedroom suite sort of like a high class sleep over.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mima! Just found you via Ken's site. The socks look great, then I scrolled down and WHOA what astoundingly beautiful sweaters you make. Have you seen utilikilts ? Saw one on an older guy at ll beans, and geezer that he was, boy he looked good. I asked him about the kilt and he handed me the utilikilt business card. A really hip site, I think from Seattle. But, even though men's pants often fit me best, I'm sticking w/ women's skirts for now, I'll leave the kilts to you guys (for now! for now! I may get one made in one of the family plaids). And, do you know about the Highland games in Maine? They are in August (maybe the 3rd week) at Thomas Point Beach, I think that's the beach, it's in South Thomaston. The family conclave sounds good...my 2 brothers and I got together at mom's in FLA a few years ago, first time since I was pregnant (11 years ago). Always interesting. Somewhat sadly (for me, they don't care) no wine at these, one doesn't like it and the other liked it too much...he's celebrating 15 years sober next week. Best, Lisa (once known by youngest brother as "Yaya" because Lisa was too difficult)

2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and the malabrigo. I made a super soft light as a cloud sweater from it. I love the feel of it next to my too sensitive skin (no shirt under the sweater!), BUT it pills rather quickly. It's great for the everyday favorite sweater, but I think I'd be disappointed to put a lot of time and effort into a sweater that will quickly pill. Good luck!

10:43 AM  
Blogger mima said...

Lisa: I've done two sweaters with the Malabrigo. The first one has gone thru a ton of use and no pilling, the second one has taken some TLC. probably some QC issue. I do like the yarn a lot.

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I also 'found' you through Ken's site. Just wanted to say that I think the idea of a family conclave is a fantastic idea.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home