Mima's Blog

Knitting, books, theater, travel, skiing, cycling and whatever crosses my mind.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Three strikes and you are OUT!

Today was the day of the biopsy. Contrary to the last one, the "growths" are not in the way or attached to a major artery or vein, so the method was more traditional. I arrived early (duh!) and changed into the non-Armani hospital gowns. You would think that with all my experience I would know how to put them on, but alas.. I looked like a circus clown.

First was the proverbial blood sample. Wait an hour for the results and my turn was up. At this point Eileen (who should stick to the teaching profession) asked if she could come into the room (strike 1). They put the jelly (warm and tingling version) and they ultrasound the armpit and under my clavicle. Target is set; X marks the spoy and the doctor starts calling for all the needles. I ask Eileen if everything is ok and that this was her last chance to escape, she says she is fine..strike 2(sure sis..)

They inject some lidocaine (ouch for 2 seconds) and start the procedure. A 4 inch needle is inserted into the axila (otherwise known as the armpit) and they watch the progress on the ultrasound screen. Once on target a gun looking thing is attached to the needle and after a small click (no pain) the sample is taken. The doctor is waiting for someone from pathology to give the OK for the sample viability to grow and he proceeds to leave the room, giving my sister a clear view of my armpit with a 4 inch needle sticking out. I asked her if she was ok to which she answered mmm... yeah... and suddenly she leaves. Unbeknown to me the poor thing proceeds to faint and fall to the ground outside the biopsy room STRIKE 3 YOU ARE OUT!. The nurse proceeds to place her in the room next to mine while my procedure is finished.

As I am preparing to leave I realize that she has left me her bag, computer and coat and as I pick up all her stuff and think "this is not like her to do this" I see her with her feet elevated and drinking an apple juice. Procedure was successful, but now I know not to have sister in the room...

Armpit is soar as hell....Now we wait 3-4 days for pathology results.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Ex-husband used to pass out at the polariod picture from an ultrasound! Never mind that sterile odor of a hosital...She did well to more than 1/2 way thru it! Way to go Eileen!!! Nice to remove the focus from your brother for a moment!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Lester said...

Mima, good news = she did not fall backwards… could have had devastating results (earthquakes, tsunamis, who knows) Glad to know BI and you escaped that.

Remember safety first - Next present for sis = inflatable sumo wrestler suit.

:-) Lester

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home